6 October 2016

Cluny loom


What I really want to show you today is a cluny loom that Tim Kaylor gave me at Tat Days. It was made on a 3D printer. 

I was lucky enough to be able to spend time with Tim while he showed me how to use it. I'm dying to get back to this technique soon. I did take a video of Tim threading up the loom and I tried it too. What a splendid idea. All I now need is time to play with it!!! I really ought to be thinking about next year's TIAS. Well, thinking and designing too!!!  It can wait!!!

Even MORE news about Tim - he's started a blog.  Here's the address (don't you LOVE the name - Tim tats too?).  Please pop in and give him some encouragement.  

Even even even MORE news - Tim made the shuttle I showed you yesterday - that and around 499 others that he gave away.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, so much innovation going on with new materials, new designs. What an exciting time :)

Jane McLellan said...

Looks interesting.

Maureen said...

I've looked at the video of threading the loom, and I recognise the steps from the cardboard looms used by the Qld Tatters! But it still seems so complicated and cumbersome - I do love the appearance of a well-woven cluny in tatting though, so I will file it all on the back burner.( which is getting rather overcrowded).

Batty Tatter said...

What is the thing on the right?

Crazy Mom! said...

Tim is a lovely person! Great guy!

The looms (and the pegs) AND the little shuttles were made on his 3-d printer - it takes a looong time to print each one. I suspect he makes a number of shuttles and pegs in one pass, but I think it's still at least an overnight printing session.

Jane Eborall said...

The things in the packet (black) are feet to stop it slipping.

Texas Tatter said...

I have to admit when I first glanced at the picture, I thought you had a baggie of carrot pieces! LOL

Bernice said...

It would be interesting to see that loom in action. I've tried a cardboard loom but my hand works best for me.

Unknown said...

Bless his heart, Tim sent me the files to print my own. I have that done now but am having trouble with loading the loom. Is it loaded the same as some of the other looms I have seen?

Jane Eborall said...

There's a video link on this post http://janeeborall.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/cluny-loom.html showing how Tim loads his. I hope that helps, Pat.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.