26 November 2015

Robin's snowflake


Today it's all about Robin's snowflake which is shown below.

I just happened to be 'quick off the mark' when she asked for test tatters and I must make some comments about her pattern.

It's really cool. Clear, precise and easy (even for somebody with only three brain cells) to follow and she uses standard notation which I really appreciate instead of calling 'stuff' new names which would cause me to be forever referring to the abbreviations. What I particularly LOVED about it is that it's only two pages. I despair of 'fancily written' patterns with lots and lots of white space and 'silly' fonts (not easy to read for old eyes) and GINORMOUS pictures/diagrams. I think the 'fashion' for these has come from an idea that if you sell a pattern the buyer expects 'lots of value for money' and the pattern is expanded as much as possible. I've often been tempted to buy patterns (well, sometimes!) and the thought of having pages and pages of 'fancy stuff' on oodles of pages with a veritable storm of snow white space just puts me right off.

I never ever print off patterns - not even my own. I really don't see the point of wasting ink and paper on something I may never do many times so I always work from the digital copy or scan a book page and work from that. Habit formed over years of writing the darn things down, losing bits of paper, finding them and then not being able to understand what I was on about!!!

8 comments:

StringyDogs said...

Lovely job on the snowflake.
I have had so many computers go belly-up that I never depend on electronics and always print out patterns I like. Isn't it funny? The same hobby and two different approaches...

Jane Eborall said...

I agree with you totally, StringyDogs. Good idea to print and each to their own. I diligently make backups each day of my main computer so hopefully I won't lose anything. That's not foolproof, though!!!

Maureen said...

I print everything too, after losing all my patterns and photographs in a devastating crash years ago, Never trust anything that plugs in! Recently, though, I hit upon the good idea of emailing patterns to myself, and they're always there now - as long as the filing system works of course........
This is a very pretty flake, but does it need to be stiffened?

Jane Eborall said...

Well I'd stiffen it to put on a tree but it's a bit big for our tree so it may go onto a - well, not decided yet!!!

Randi said...

Using a photo mobile is a nice way of displaying tatted snowflakes - see Yarnplayer's Tatting Blog post of 11-17-15.

God's Kid said...

Great snowflake!! :)

Robin Perfetti said...

Aww, thanks Jane, glad you liked it :)

My two goals when making a written pattern are 1) clear and 2) concise!

Jane Eborall said...

Precisely, Robin!!! That's certainly what you've done. Did you see Sue Hanson's comment on Facebook? She thinks the same as us too.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.