19 March 2014

More about my bad day!

What a day it was yesterday!!! 

As you know if you read yesterday's blog I found out that an Italian magazine had published my ladybird pattern with somebody else's name to it. First before I give you the update I'd like to publicly thank Edda and Corina for all their help in tracing the person who'd sent in the pattern to the magazine calling it theirs.

I have been corresponding with the magazine and I think we're making some sort of progress. I had to explain that there was no difference between needle tatting patterns and shuttle tatting ones as the editor or publisher said that they were purely needle tatting patterns!! Also had to explain that a small change in stitch count (and a possible missing picot on the head) did not make it somebody else's design either!!

Below is the pattern in the magazine - as it's really mine and has been plastered all over Facebook I've no worries about posting it on here.

Discussions will continue and I am now hoping that a fruitful collaboration will be established between us ensuring that this doesn't happen again.  I will update on progress tomorrow!

12 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I didn't take time to catch up on blog posts yesterday. I was a bit preoccupied! ;-)

I think it's terrible that someone would claim your pattern as their own. Please do keep us updated on this situation.

Jane McLellan said...

Glad you're making progress with the magazine!

Pigmini said...

Does look remarkably familiar.... !! Good luck with the discussions Jane!

Corina Meyfeldt said...

Unfair when something like this occures, nasty to deal with. But the really unpleasant thing to live with is the thought that it can hapen again. I am not paranoid; but I really thought to send my self 1 or 2 patterns to these magazines before someone else does it. They are free in my blog, but this does not mean that then can be published without my permission. Funny thing is that in your blog you have the Common Creative thingy. Aparently it is not intimidating enough.

Frivole said...

Thanks for keeping us updated - I hope you can come to a good resolution.

StringyDogs said...

I wonder if this is by the same person who stole an owl pattern last month?
I am so sorry, Jane. This is a poor way to abuse your generosity!

Jane Eborall said...

Things are slowly resolving over this particular incident and I will blog all about it tomorrow, Corina. I think that sadly this has all been a huge mistake both on the part of the magazine and the person who submitted the ladybird. Common sense will prevail!!!

Unknown said...

You can also find this on your freeserver acct.

Jane Eborall said...

No, it's not, StringyDogs. I'll be blogging about the next instalment tomorrow!!!

Jane Eborall said...

Sorry, Denise, but what can I find?

Marilee Rockley said...

Thanks so very much for all your work in sorting this out and educating folks about copyright and tatting patterns.

Corina Meyfeldt said...

In the magazine there is the pattern with the mention "by the efforts of..." Nice trick... but not legal neverdeless. I think the Italian tatter did not mean any harm and, definitelly was not retributed in any way (except her printed name)... In a way I feel for her, on the other hand, there must be an attitude, people have to understand that this is not legal. Even if the name of the author is mentionned, he/she HAS to be asked for the permission to use it. As simple as that.

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.