20 March 2014

Bad days turned around

This is probably going to be a long post!!!! 

The ladybird pattern problem has been sorted - thank goodness. The lady who sent the pattern to the magazine had worked it out from a picture she'd seen of the ladybird and then just didn't realise the copyright implications. We have spoken about it and all is well in that area.

The magazine took it in good faith not knowing a lot about tatting as their main aim is to sell craft items and books.  Remember - this was their first publication.  The result now is that they will issue an apology in the third edition (although I did say it wasn't necessary) and will be running an article about me sometime. I'm sure the Italian readers will be bored to death over that!!!

I have offered to help them with researching patterns which are submitted to them in future in order to prevent them being put in a similar situation and already I've run my eye over two of them.  Of course this isn't fool proof as I don't know all the patterns that there are in every book and on every internet page.

One of the things that the magazine is concerned about (and which I said I'd mention here) is the number of tatting books (which they also sell) being uploaded on the internet for anybody to take.  We ALL know that this happens and I hope we all avoid sites like those and report them to the appropriate authorities if we stumble on them.  After all if all pattern books were available for free on the internet then designers would stop writing them, wouldn't they?  Then where would we all be - patternless.

So, to sum up. I now have a good relationship with the magazine and with the lady who submitted the pattern. The magazine has now learned that tatting patterns are for shuttle tatters and the dreaded needle tatters too!!!

19 comments:

Corina Meyfeldt said...

Great news! This is what can hapen: counting the ds from a picture, without having absolutelly no idea about the pattern, author, copyright issues can lead to uncomfortable situations like this one. Your case here will help a bit to make clear that not everything postet in the Internet is free to use. I hope, at least. As for the books, of course I found them too, I looked at them, I learned a lot...

Jenn said...

That is awesome news Jane :).

Maureen said...

So all is well, - glad it turned out. Now I want to buy issue 3 to read all about you in Italian!

Tatfully Yours said...

Why do I feel that last part was for me? I wonder......?
Kelly (needle tatter and proud of it!!!)

Jane Eborall said...

You're awake and reading, then Kelly!!!!! I simply HAVE to tease you in public from time to time!!!!!! Love you lots.

Nancy G said...

Great news. To be uninformed can lead to disaster, but in this case you, my dear Jane, Set. Them. Straight. Sometimes that is all that is needed to be informed! That's all part of the learning process and how we all grow. *smile*

Unknown said...

Glad to see that everything is sorted out. I have never tatted your LadyBug, but to celebrate, I will tat one this weekend. Maybe it will help to bring spring back to Québec.

Tatfully Yours said...

Don`t worry about me!! Between you and Ruth I have to watch myself around you shuttle snobs!!
Love ya too!!!!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

This has been quite a saga, and kudos to you for taking the time to contact all the parties and come to an amicable solution, while getting word out about the copyright situation, plus some 'tatting lessons'! I guess we should be pleased that tatting is starting to be noticed in craft publications. I think they'll be 'gobsmacked' when they realize who you are! :) Also, I'm impressed you can 'converse' in Italian!

There are so many tricky situations today in this electronic age! Pinterest 'tatting boards' can be a feast for the eyes, and I'm amazed that they mostly do link to the designer or the original site, but sometimes links go astray and the designer is lost.

Jane Eborall said...

Ah, Kathy they will be gobsmacked when they find out that I'm really an old git with three brain cells!!
No, I can't speak Italian - I rely on Mr Google's translator!!!

linb54 said...

what a great end to this dilemma. happy for you! glad you straightened them out! would love to see the article in #3 about you!!!! hope they get that story straight? Happy Tatting!

Jane McLellan said...

Hats off to you for sorting it out in an amicable way!

TAT19540 said...

Yeah! Glad resolved. Having watch Marilee work through making a book process and how much work I appreciated all you wonderful designers.
Now about dreaded needle tatters... I love you Jane you keep me smiling.

Frivole said...

Great news Jane! I'm really pleased you got it resolved.

LibraryLady said...

Great job keeping your cool, Jane. All of this goes into the WIN column!

Ladytats said...

Thank you Jane for standing up for yourself and all of us tatters. Congrats on being able to sort out this mess and have things turn out positive in the end.

Miranda said...

All's well that ends well. I'm glad to know there was never any malicious intent, just lack of knowledge.

I find that a lot of the hits to my blog come from people googling specific patterns that I have tatted. I always assume these people are looking for what book to find that pattern in, or possibly want to see pictures of it tatted up. I've certainly done that many times. But your penultimate paragraph made me realize that at least a small portion of these people may be hoping to find a free copy of a pattern they should have to pay for. Yikes! At least they won't find that on my blog!

Tally Tatty said...

I admire your courage, Jane, for taking all this trouble!

Suztats said...

"Dreaded needle tatters" ??? Now, really, Jane! I'm sure that was tongue-in-cheek, but some people might take offense..........
As for me, my trials with shuttle tatting have ceased as it aggravates my carpal tunnel......... so I guess I shall remain a "dreaded needle tatter" after all..... lol
Good for you taking the magazine and tatter to task for their copywrite errors!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.