14 March 2014

Alternative Threads?


While I was 'bobbling away' and talking to Gary and Randy one of them asked if I'd ever tried the Alternative Thread method that's in this book of theirs.


I'd already played with this idea back here in 2009 when I first got my mucky mitts on the book so it was time to 'refresh the BC3' once more.

Not sure how many of you will have tried this way of tatting but I must admit it's deliciously challenging and I found I could really do with at least another ten pairs of hands!!!!

The effects of using the two threads is great but my attempt here isn't very neat as I should've done a practice piece first!!! Still this motif shows just a smidgen of what can be done with the technique and the book is easy to follow.

Just realised I chose the same motif to try it as I did last time.  Now what does that say about me?  Answer - I'm BORING!!!

9 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I don't think you're boring at all! I look forward to seeing what BC3 is up to every day. Looking at the picture of alternative thread method, I think I'm going to have to wait until school is out to tackle that one!

Maureen said...

Isn't that a Maltese Ring? - I think I have tried something like it before - never really came to terms with it though, so the new book will be very helpful!

Batty Tatter said...

You're not boring in the least. I wish we were next door neighbors. I'd be over everyday, seeing what you've been up to. Wouldn't that just drive you bonkers.

Jane Eborall said...

No, Batty Tatter I can't be driven bonkers cause I'm bonkers already!!! Have been for years!!!! So pleased I'm not boring to others as I do bore myself!!!!

Ladytats said...

No Maureen, a Maltese ring has picots on the inside as well as the outside.

God's Kid said...

That looks awesome!!! :)
I also think it's nice to see that experienced tatters experience some difficulties sometimes too so that the beginners see it's ok if you make mistakes or don't do it the nicest the first time around. :) Thanks!! :)

Jane Eborall said...

Ah but beginners don't have the problems that a BC3 provides, God's Kid!!!!! Seriously - I never mind showing my bad work as I'm rarely really happy with anything I finish!!!

lej619 said...

but i do not see picots on the inside.

Jane Eborall said...

Sorry for not picking up on the comments sooner but no, this isn't a Maltese ring. It is using threads on the left hand alternatively. Sorry but the Houtz brothers explain it better than me - particularly after I've had a glass or two of wine!!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.